The Shure Model SM59
cardioid dynamic microphone
Microphone courtesy of Jeff Rudisill
The Shure Model SM59 is a high-quality, unidirectional dynamic microphone designed for professional applications in sound reinforcement, broadcasting, and recording. The SM59 has a wide-range frequency response and a unique cartridge shock mount design which minimizes handling noise and maximizes vibration cancellation. A special pop filter protects against explosive breath sounds. A slim lower case, balanced weight, and sleek appearance combine to make the SM59 especially suitable for stage use. The SM59 is a lightweight, rugged unit of aluminum, zinc and stainless steel construction, finished in matte champagne enamel. A microphone swivel adapter is provided. The Model SM59-LC is supplied without a cable.
The SM59 is a low-impedance microphone and is recommended for use when long cable lengths are required or under conditions of severe hum disturbance. The permissible cable length is practically unlimited, since neither response nor level is affected. If required, the SM59 may be connected to a high-impedance mixer input using a Shure A95UF Line Matching Transformer.
Model SM59 Features
- Wide range, smooth frequency response; provides clean, natural reproduction of voice and music
- Special mechano-pneumatic shock mount virtually eliminates normal handling noise and pickup of floor-stand vibrations
- Wire-mesh screen with built-in filter provides excellent P pop protection
- Built-in hum-bucking coil for maximum electromagnetic hum cancellation
- Highly effective cardioid pickup minimizes background noise and undesirable location acoustics
- Designed for versatile use in the hand or on a stand, indoors or outdoors
- Smooth, sleek styling and lightweight balanced case for excellent appearance and ease of use
- Rugged, providing years of dependable operation with unchanging performance
Text and illustrations are from Shure Technical Data sheet No. 27A2156, © 1986