The Electro-Voice Model 654
omnidirectional dynamic microphone
The Electro-Voice Model 654 Microphone is a dynamic, omnidirectional type designed for all commercial uses—FM, AM, and TV broadcasting, studio, remote, PA, and recording. Its slim design is made possible without the necessity for closely associated auxiliary equipment. Wide frequency response, wide pickup range, and light weight make it ideal for TV staging and for pass-around use in audience participation. The microphone can be worked from any direction with negligible audible frequency discrimination.
The Model 654 is mounted on a swivel which permits tilting the microphone through a 90° arc toward sound sources. It can be mounted on a floor or desk stand, on a boom, or carried in the hand.
This microphone features the exclusive Electro-Voice Acoustalloy diaphragm. This nonmetallic diaphragm permits smooth response over a wide frequency range and withstands high humidity, temperature extremes, corrosive effects of salt air, and severe mechanical shocks. It is practically indestructible with normal use.
- Type: Dynamic
- Frequency Response: Uniform from 50 to 16,000 cps. See Figure 2
- Impedance: Recessed switch in microphone stud permits quick selection of 50 or 250 ohms. Line balanced to ground and phased
- Output Levels:
50 ohms impedance: –55 dB*; RETMA sensitivity rating, –148 dB.
250 ohms impedance: –55 dB*; RETMA sensitivity rating, –147 dB.
*0 dB = 1 mW/10 dynes/cm2
- Polar Patterns: Essentially omnidirectional, becoming directional with rise in frequency. See Figure 3
- Diaphragm: Electro-Voice Acoustalloy
- Magnetic Circuit: Employs Alnico V and Armco magnetic iron in a non-welded circuit.
- Case: Steel
- Finish: Non-reflecting gray
- Dimensions: Diameter: 13⁄32"; Length: 101⁄16" including stud. See Figure 4
- Net Weight: 16 ozs
- Cable: 18' three-conductor, shielded, neoprene-jacketed, broadcast type
- Cable Connector: XL-3-11 Cannon, locking, three-contact wiping type built into the microphone. Permits tilting microphone toward sound source without strain on connector or cable
- Stand Coupler: 5⁄8"-27 thread
- Optional Accessories: Electro-Voice Model 345 Shock Mount
Text and illustrations are from the E-V Model 654 Microphone Specifications sheet, Part No. 53066
Photographs courtesy of Dennis Schrank