The AKG Model D 12 E
cardioid dynamic microphone
The AKG D 12 is a dynamic microphone with a cardioid polar pattern. This means that it “hears” best what happens in front of it while rejecting sound from the sides or rear. The sound entry of the D 12 is bright nickel plated.
The dynamic transducer with its special “Bass Chamber” is handmade. The Bass Chamber boosts the lower frequencies in the 60 to 120 Hz range. The large diaphragm provides full, rich bass and ensures clean, undistorted reproduction at high sound levels. Its shock mount prevents pick-up of impact and structure-borne noise. A compensation winding rejects hum induction (from power lines, amplifiers, etc.) and a built-in windscreen eliminates pop noise.
Its unique sound established the D 12 as the world’s standard microphone for bass drum and bass instrument pick-up. the D 12’s frequency response extends down to 40 Hz, and the slight peak in the 60 to 120 Hz range enables the microphone to do full justice to the mellow, intimate quality of the trombone, tuba, or flügelhorn.
- Full, punchy sound due to large diaphragm and special “Bass Chamber”
- Excellent reproduction of low-pitched instruments
- Handles high sound levels without introducing distortion
- Cardioid polar pattern
- Shock mount isolates transducer element from floor vibration
- Transducer Principle: dynamic pressure gradient transducer
- Polar Pattern: cardioid
- Frequency Range: 30-15,000 Hz
- Sensitivity at 1000 Hz: 2.2 mV/Pa ± –74 dBV re 1 µbar
- Electrical Impedance at 1000 Hz: 260 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: 600 ohms
- Maximum SPL for 0.5% THD: 50 Pa ± 128 dB SPL
- Hum Sensitivity at 50 Hz: 10 µV/5 ± T
- Climactic Conditions: temperature range: –10°C to +70°C;
relative humidity at +20°C: 90%
- Connector Type: three-pin male standard XLR
- Connector Wiring: pin 1: ground, pin 2: AF (in phase), pin 3: AF (return)
- Housing Material: steel wire mesh 1.5 × 0.7mm
- Finish: front grille glossy nickel plated, rear grille matte black paint
- Dimensions: H 140mm (5½ in.), W 55mm (23⁄16 in.), D 76mm (3 in.)
- Weight: 600g (21.2 oz.) net
The text and illustration above are from various AKG technical notes and specifications.
Microphone courtesy of Jeff Rudisill
Download the specifications for the D 12
The microphone shown on this page is the D 12 E